As we concentrate on selling our handmade ornaments for my Relay for Life team, I’m getting ready for a couple of arts and crafts fairs that are happening toward the end of the month. I’ve spent a LOT of time with ribbon, glass orbs, and even more time planning. But, just for ME in all of this, I wanted to make a trio of trees to adorn the crafts tables. I’ve been inspired by fellow stampers to make the paper trees, and I’ve seen the burlap ones everywhere this year. I thought they’d be lovely additions on our tables, and then I’ll have some decorations all set to go…for ME!
All three tree bases are the papier mache ones I found at my local Hobby Lobby. I used retired SU Christmas dsp on both of the paper-covered trees. And both of them have all that fabulous dsp cut out with the Tree Punch in the holiday catty. I bet I punched 3 billion trees to cover these two…well, at least my hand felt that way after awhile. But it was so worth it–the punching went very fast and then I had the perfect pieces to layer and create with.
The colors used on all trees reflect the more “natural vibe” we’ll be striving for in our crafts-table setup…Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Early Espresso, Cherry Cobbler, Baked Brown Sugar, Old Olive, and some Gumball Green in Tree 1. Tree #1 also has retired lace ribbon and a little bow of Very Vanilla Seam Binding at the top.
Tree #2 is edged along the bottom with a row of the retired ruffled ribbon and topped with a burlap “bow” and some streamers of 1-1/4″ Burlap Ribbon and some retired tulle ribbon. I save everything and eventually use it up somewhere. All these items worked together so well–color-coordination and “feel”. I think they ended up with a timeless and traditional-Christmas quality.
My burlap-covered tree was a big ole “ouchy” to put together. At least the “base” of it was. After covering the plain papier-mache with a camo-styled wash of Cherry Cobbler, Baked Brown Sugar, and Mossy Meadow inks, I used a glue-gun to attach both some of the SU 1/4″ Burlap Ribbon and some box-store wider, open-mesh ribbon. I interspersed the two, to give it an even more textural look, and it was using that open-mesh ribbon that …um… kinda toasted my fingertips. I let out a couple of genuine screams a couple of times when I found the still too-hot glue with my skin instead of the ribbon!
Thankfully, I survived the base layer and was able to attach my massive amount of very-randomly placed buttons with glue-dots. I’ve got a stash of buttons I save for exactly this kind of project… some of the green ones, in particular, are likely 20 years old!!…so this project is vintage in the very real sense of the word.
Atop the tree, I dangled some Linen Thread adorned with more buttons and then added some tulle streamers, a Burlap bow, and an Early Espresso Seam Binding bow atop that. I went through a bunch of ribbon on this one! All this layer of bow-dacious effort is attached with some more of the dreaded hot-glue. I managed to NOT burn myself when I added this crowning touch.
I’m looking forward to adding these into the table scheme, both at the crafts venues, and later at home. I must remember to photograph both settings to see if all this work paid off!
Thanks for visiting my Little Corner today!