I’m not a “Clean and Simple” kind of gal. Simple-minded maybe ( 😉 ), and I am a bit of a germaphobe, but in the papercrafting world, CAS and I generally don’t stay in the same room together for long. But I tried to stretch–at least a bit–with this card. No extra-inking, no voluptuous bows, nothing truly superfluous to the design.
Pals’ Paper Arts provided the sketch for my stretch outside my comfort-zone here. I consider this a very CAS layout by the Pals’ Kerry.Bray, and I really wanted to play along with her debut design for PPA236, despite my CAS fears. Since I associate geometrics with CAS-style, I finally–yes, finally, after how long now??–put my Six-Sided Sampler Bundle to work. (Of course, in the back of my mind, I also knew this would let me use the embossing folder that coordinates, so that helped me get over my white-space phobia this time.)
I kept strictly to the basic sketch layout, but did add some height, depth, and a bit of piece-work matching up the punched hexes, giving me my much-loved vintage throwback–here to a quilt. The punched hexes are staggered up and down randomly with varying heights of dimensionals doing the trick. And I used ribbon to give some extra length to my little Banner punches.
My color scheme was inspired by the CAS-Colours and Sketches Blog’s #107 Challenge (hence, another reason to attempt the CAS stretch here). The combination of Cherry Cobbler, Basic Black, and Crumb Cake–with a tiny pop of white on the sentiment–is both clean and a bit retro at the same time. It made me remember a much-loved/much-used quilt my grandmother made that had similar colors, which of course further inspired the design here. This cold night could actually use another quilt right about now!
Here’s what I used:
- Stamps: Six-Sided Sampler, Banner Blast (retired)
- Paper: Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake, Basic Black, and Whisper White Card Stock (not a speck of DSP this time!)
- Ink: Cherry Cobbler, Memento Tuxedo Black
- Tools: Honeycomb Embossing Folder; Hexagon and Banner Punches
- Embellishments: Basic Black Candy Dots; Kraft (now Crumb Cake!) Taffeta Ribbon (retired), and a smoonch of the Cherry Cobbler Ribbon from the holiday catty (love that stuff and will use up every tiny tidbit somewhere!)
–Thanks for visiting my Little Corner today!