This summer, while many of the Pals were happily at the SU Convention, those of us “left behind” kept up with all their exploits, fun, and accomplishments via our facebook chat group. We decided we were “green with envy” over all the wonderful fun they were having…so, like any good Stampin’ Up! group would do…we reached for the paper and ink to show both our envy AND our support. The challenge: Make a card with GREEN.
Since at the time I already had out my stuff about to work on some fall and Halloween cards, I just grabbed this (now retired) DSP, “Cast A Spell”, and the (retired) stamp set, “From the Crypt”, and quickly created this card (The good news with both of these fun and creepy items–they ARE still available…as digital downloads with SU’s MDS2…so the spooktacular creepiness never has to end!)
When I uploaded my card to share with the other Pals, I felt kinda mean….they had all created NICE cards, and there I was with a snarling skull! I mean, seriously, looking at this guy from another angle with the light glaring on him–he really was nasty looking! Woopsies–I didn’t want to be THAT green with envy…..oh, well….
That glare shows up in this photo, partly due to bad photography….but at least there’s a reason behind it! I stamped this guy with Versamark and then heat-embossed with black embossing powder. This technique always emphasizes the stamped image. Although very simple, it’s still one of my favorite ways to add a little “something” to a card. (The very first time I watched someone do this embossing process, I was SO excited to watch as the powder was fully heated. It’s like a little bit of magic as the powder becomes slick and shiny–and creates that fascinating raised image on the paper. Yeah, I know–I’m easily entertained. But, seriously, I LOVE this stuff!)
Since I was in a hurry to create this card, I went to one of my favorite resources to come up with the design. I ended up using Freshly Made Sketches #1, here. I made a few adjustments to make it my own, omitting the 3 little “blings” in the upper right corner on the original sketch, and I added a strip of Basic Black card stock as a band behind the orange DSP. I tore the CS, rather than cut it, and I roughed it up some, to add to the creep factor a bit. One very new thing I added to my card was the paper piercing I did on the sentiment, using the pack with the oval template. I think, over all, I “got my green on” pretty effectively!
–Thanks for visiting my Little Corner today! –Terri