Ta-Da! There, that was my quota of “T-alliteration” for at least a month! 🙂 I think I may be a bit punchy from exhaustion, but I finished another aspect of the upcoming baby shower and I’m definitely PLEASED as punch with the results.
This is a trash-to-treasure story because they started out the day in a sorry state. Although in great shape structurally, they were missing all but a bit of ivy-greenery and they were filthy (so filthy that I didn’t take a true “before” picture and instead waited til I had at least dusted off a couple pounds of dust and dirt). These were a cast-off from a move by another family member who knows I’ll attempt to recycle anything into craftiness. When we started talking about doing everything in “twos” for the shower, I knew I’d found the new incarnation for these sad little things. The pots were just a standard “clay pot color” til I shined them up with some Silver Metallic Stazon that I’d bought on clearance awhile back at my local craft store. I painted these at (my day job) work today on my lunch hour (ignore the stuff on the counter where I worked!) so they’d have plenty of time to dry before I started handling them so much. I also removed all the greenery sprigs and soaked and scrubbed and cleaned and revived them enough to re-use a lot of the pieces of them, too. The spanish moss was a total loss, however, and had to be replaced. Here’s the way they looked when I finished them at about 1:00 a.m.:
The color in the photo was impossible to get right with these two together, but one is in pinks and the other in purples (which you can tell better in the individual photos below) to go along with the rest of the shower goodies.
After replacing the spanish moss on the cast-off topiaries, I covered the entire topiary post with tulle yardage and gathered underneath the styrofoam ball at the top, and then again at the point where the post attached to the clay pot. Then I added back the greenery sprigs, adding in some to help make it full enough.
I had found some lovely little silk roses in my chosen colors in the bridal section of the local box store–at half price (yay!) that were done like a garland. This was perfect to use on a topiary base because all I had to do was play around with the location of each rose bunch by moving the ribbon garland strand around til I had it where I wanted it, then secure each section of rose cluster with a florist pin. The hardest part of all of this effort is that I’m 6-feet tall and was working with an item that was about 2.5-feet tall on a tabletop, trying to make sure it was all evenly spaced, not top-heavy, didn’t have any gaps anywhere, and looked good from all angles. This kind of stuff was a lot easier to do when I was 30 years younger and making stuff for the current mom-to-be as a newborn!
I tried to make these very, very similar, but with their own bit of personality–hence the dots and chevrons on the ribbon I chose to finish them off with, rather than totally matchy-matchy. (I wasn’t a fan of chevrons for a long time, but I think this ribbon may have won me over completely now. LOVE those polka dots totally, though!). In addition to the big, bold main bow, I snipped several lengths of ribbon and tucked them in (with straight pins into the styrofoam) among the greenery and roses to really make the whole thing pop with color and fun.
So, shower day is getting closer, and my to-do-list is getting shorter. Very happy with this project, but glad to have it done. Too tired at the moment to even look to see what’s on the agenda for tomorrow!
–Thanks for visiting my Little Corner today!